Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Homemade Crab Rangoon Recipe

Holy sweet baby cheeks! I don't mean to beat my own drum, but I just might be a culinary genius! Okay, maybe not, but you be the judge!

I was playing with the idea of making my usual chicken spring rolls with fried rice tonight, when I quickly realized I did not want to spend that much time making dinner on my last day off for the week. Instead of spending two hours making the spring rolls, I thought about making this crab rangoon dip instead as I have in the past. 



The problem with that recipe is that those wonton chips go fast if I don't make two batches so I came up with a solution: crab rangoon wontons! I based them off of that crab dip recipe and a restaurant that my mom and I used to love called Thai Tango. My mom loved the rangoons there because she said they looked like "presents."


I'll post the recipes for these sometime in the near future


So in replacement of the above left, I give you my own shot at Crab Rangoon: 



This picture is from attempt numero uno on this recipe

Ingredients: 
1 package wonton wrappers (about 25)
1 package low fat cream cheese
12oz shredded, real crab meat (treat yo' self)
1/3 cup red onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup green onions
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1/2-1 cup melted butter
a dash of powdered ginger root
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice

Filling Prep:

1.) Preheat oven to 350.
2.) Heat cream cheese in a medium sized sauce pan over low-medium heat (you don't want to burn it the cheese).
3.) Add crab once cream cheese is good and melted, and blend very well. Add in the onions, and blend.
5.) Add sauces and spices to taste, and bring the filling to a boil stirring constantly.
6.) Lower heat and begin the wonton prep.

Wonton Prep:

1.) Slice 4-5 wonton wrappers into thin strips to tie them around tops' of the bundles.
2.) Melt your butter and throw in a dash of Chinese 5 spice.
3.) Dip your wonton wrappers individually into the melted butter mixture as you go along.


Don't they look so cute!

Prepare:

1.) Scoop up 1/2-1 tsp of the filling into the middle of the buttered wrapper.
2.) Cradling the filling in the center of the wrapper, wrap the wonton around the filling making a ball with the wonton. Pinch the top of the ball so that the wonton wrapper stays together while still having the tips stick out at the top.
3.) Take your wonton strips, dip them into the butter mixture, and wrap them around the "pinched part" of the rangoon.
4.) Once you've made all of the rangoons, back them on a cookie sheet at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
5.) Cool for 5 minutes and serve!


So there you have it! They might not be as great as Thai Tango's, but this recipe is fresh and light which I love. They also go great with the fried rice I make. Let me know what you think in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment